Best-Selling Authors, Agents, Writing Pundits to Empower Aspiring and Established Writers at the Writer’s Digest Annual Conference in August
The Author Community Will Gather, Aug. 12 – 14 in N.Y.C., for a “Pitch Slam” and More Than 70 Educational and Inspirational Sessions from 90+ Speakers
NEW YORK (July 8, 2016) — The upcoming Writer’s Digest Annual Conference (#WDC16 - @WritersDigest), features best-selling and award-winning authors, literary agents, editors and writing pundits – all to empower aspiring and established writers. The conference takes place Aug. 12 – 14, 2016 at the New York Hilton Midtown in N.Y.C., and features a Pitch Slam, where attendees meet one-on-one with their preferred literary agents and editors. The conference also features more than 90 speakers in 70+ educational and inspirational sessions. Registration and program details are available at writersdigestconference.com (the advance registration rate expires Aug. 11; space is limited).
At the Writer’s Digest Annual Conference, authors glean everything they need to know to advance their work – no matter the stage of their career – all in an encouraging, inspiring environment. One of the highlights of the conference is the already sold-out Pitch Slam. It’s a rare opportunity for authors to pitch directly to agents and editors who are actively looking for new writers to represent. Each one-on-one pitch meeting lasts three minutes, including 90 seconds to pitch and 90 seconds for agent/editor feedback and discussion.
“The Pitch Slam is a high-energy experience that’s both an incredibly useful tool and a very tangible opportunity,” says Phil Sexton, publisher of Writer’s Digest and vice president and group publisher, F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company. “Many writers have successfully found representation at the conference’s Pitch Slam. It’s a great chance for authors to be their book’s advocate and hopefully sign a deal; and the conference overall is an excellent opportunity for authors to grow creatively and professionally.”
The Writer’s Digest Annual Conference also offers numerous sessions covering key themes and hot topics such as: New Opportunities for Writers; The Changing Face of Publishing; The New Necessity of Being a Hybrid Author; Cooperative Publishing; Self-Publishing; and How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules, among other topics. Some of the 2016 Writer’s Digest Annual Conference speakers include:
- Jennifer Keishin Armstrong (@jmkarmstrong), the author of Mary and Lou and Rhoda and Ted, a History of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Seinfeldia: How a Show About Nothing Changed Everything.
- Reed Farrel Coleman (@ReedFColeman), a New York Times bestselling author and author of the Robert B. Parker’s Jesse Stone series, the acclaimed Moe Prager series, short stories and poetry.
- Oliver Jeffers (@OliverJeffers), an award-winning visual artist and author working in illustration, painting, collage and sculpture, whose books include: The Incredible Book Eating Boy, This Moose Belongs to Me, The Day the Crayons Quit and its sequel The Day the Crayons Came Home (both No. 1 New York Times Bestsellers) and Once Upon an Alphabet.
- Cheryl Klein (@chavelaque), executive editor at Arthur A. Levine Books, an imprint of Scholastic Inc., and author of Second Sight: An Editor’s Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing Books for Children and Young Adults and The Magic Words: Writing Great Fiction for Children and Young Adults, which will be published on Sept. 6 by W. W. Norton.
- Caroline Leavitt (@Leavittnovelist), the New York Times Bestselling Author of Is This Tomorrow and Pictures of You, who will debut her 11th novel, Cruel Beautiful World, on Oct. 4.
- Jessica Sinsheimer (@JSinsheim), an associate agent at the Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency, who’s also known for #MSWL, #PubTalkTV and Manuscript Wish List, which allows agents and editors to post what they wish they had in their inboxes.
- Kim van Alkemade (@KimvanAlkemade), author of the historical fiction novel Orphan Number Eight and a professor in the English Department at Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, where she teaches writing.
- Vincent Zandri (@VincentZandri), winner of both the 2015 Private Eye Writers of America Shamus Award and the 2015 International Thriller Writers Thriller Award for Best Original Paperback Novel, who is also the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than 20 novels, including: The Remains, Moonlight Weeps, Everything Burns and Orchard Grove.
- Paula Munier (@PaulaSMunier), senior literary agent and content strategist at Talcott Notch Literary Services, who boasts broad experience creating and marketing exceptional content in all formats across all markets for such media giants as Disney, Gannett, Greenspun Media Group and Quayside. She’s also the author or co-author of more than a dozen books, including Plot Perfect, Fixing Freddie and A Miscellany of Murder.
- Gabriela Pereira (@DIYMFA), the instigator of DIY MFA, the do-it-yourself alternative to a Master’s degree in writing, who has helped hundreds of writers get the MFA experience without going to school. She teaches writing via conferences, workshops and online courses, and also hosts the podcast DIY MFA Radio. Her book, DIY MFA: Write with Focus, Read with Purpose, Build Your Community, will be published by Writer’s Digest Books in July 2016.
- Sarah Domet (@SarahDomet), author of 90 Days to Your Novel, who holds a Ph.D. in literature and creative writing from the University of Cincinnati, and is a recent winner of a Best of the Net Award from Sundress Publications for her story “That Year People Floated.” Her debut novel, The Guineveres, comes out in October 2016 from Flatiron Books.
Additional highlights of the 2016 Writer’s Digest Annual Conference include: opening keynote presenter Kwame Alexander (KwameAlexander.com - @kwamealexander); keynote presenter David Baldacci (DavidBaldacci.com - @davidbaldacci); closing keynote Emily St. John Mandel (EmilyMandel.com - @EmilyMandel); the DIY MFA Insiders Program with Gabriela Pereira; and a Cocktail Networking Reception with a massive book-signing with all of the authors who are featured in the conference program.
For event details and to register, visit writersdigestconference.com (the advance registration rate expires Aug. 11; space is limited).
About F+W, A Content + eCommerce Company
F+W connects passionate, like-minded groups of people to share an ongoing exchange of information, ideas and inspiration. F+W is committed to providing the very best experience for its customers across its communities – digital media, writing, design, outdoors and lifestyle, among many others. The company offers exclusive events, online learning programs, research services, custom content, books and magazines (digital and print), curated kits and other services to its millions of customers worldwide. (fwmedia.com)
# # #
Note to Editors: Press passes, artwork, interviews may be requested.