‘Author in Progress’ Features Lessons from 40+ Best-Selling Authors, Experts
A New Book from Therese Walsh, Writer Unboxed and Writer’s Digest Offers Wisdom and Advice on the Various Stages to Becoming a Published Author
NEW YORK (Sept. 22, 2016) — Author in Progress: A No-Holds-Barred Guide to What It Really Takes to Get Published isn’t just a love letter to authors – it’s a lesson-filled journey through the important stages every writer travels. The upcoming book – from editor/co-author Therese Walsh and publisher Writer’s Digest, with a foreword written by respected author James Scott Bell – features more than 40 insightful essays from best-selling, critically acclaimed authors and experts, alongside not-yet-published authors. Author in Progress is available to purchase Nov. 1 at writersdigestshop.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers.
Walsh, who’s also the editorial director and co-founder of Writer Unboxed, and author of The Moon Sisters and The Last Will of Moira Leahy, says, “Author in Progress will become the aspiring fiction author’s best friend. Our contributing authors truly delivered with positive, empowering and illuminating essays that can and will help other writers reach the next rung on the publishing ladder. Truly, the book is jam-packed with accessible wisdom and actionable advice.”
Phil Sexton, publisher of Writer’s Digest and vice president and group publisher, F+W, a Content and eCommerce Company, notes, “Author in Progress is a breakdown that drills into what it really takes to get published. From pre-writing considerations to the writing itself, critique, improvement, rewriting, perseverance and more, Author in Progress presents highly valuable lessons and advice for writers and future authors.”
To premiere the book, Writer’s Digest will host the Author in Progress Book Launch Party on Oct. 28 at the Writer’s Digest Novel Writing Conference (#WDNWC16), which takes place Oct. 28 - 30 in Los Angeles at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites. The Launch Party is open to all conference attendees and includes a book signing with Walsh and Author in Progress contributors. To register for the conference, visit novel.writersdigestconference.com.
Some of the experts featured in Author in Progress, and their topics, include:
- Dave King, co-author of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: “Find the Muse Within the Story: How to Recognize and Search Beyond Ordinary Inspirations”
- Lisa Cron, story coach and author of Story Genius and Wired for Story: “Story First, Plot Second: Develop Your Protagonist’s Story-Specific Past”
- Donald Maass, literary agent and author of Writing the Breakout Novel and Writing 21st Century Fiction: “Being Unboxed: How Faithful, Confident, Boundary-Pushing Writers Rise Above the Noise”
- Jane Friedman, co-founder and editor of The Hot Sheet, and former publisher of Writer’s Digest: “Do You Need a Professional Editor? Weighing the Pros and Cons”
- Steven James, author of Story Trumps Structure: “Letting Go of the Reins: When a Complete Rewrite Is the Right Choice”
- MJ Rose, co-president of International Thriller Writers and author of What to Do Before Your Book Launch and The Witch of Painted Sorrows: “Great Expectations: What to Do When Dreams and Reality Collide”
- David Corbett, author of The Art of Character: “Mining for Diamonds: Strike It Rich with Research – Without Getting Buried Alive”
- Victoria Strauss, co-founder of Writer Beware, which looks at problems and pitfalls that face aspiring writers, and also author of the Way of Arata duology: “Tired Writer, Take Care: How Vulnerability Can Increase Over Time, and What You Can Do About It”
Author in Progress also features critically-acclaimed and best-selling authors, including: Julianna Baggott, author of Pure and Harriet Wolf ’s Seventh Book of Wonders; Brunonia Barry, author of The Lace Reader and The Map of True Places; Sarah McCoy, author of The Mapmaker’s Children and The Baker’s Daughter; Greer Macallister, author of The Magician’s Lie; Margaret Dilloway, author of Momotaro Xander and the Lost Island of Monsters and How to Be an American Housewife; Barbara O’Neal, author of The Lost Recipe for Happiness and How to Bake a Perfect Life, Erika Robuck, author of Hemingway’s Girl and Call Me Zelda; and Catherine McKenzie, author of Fractured, Smoke and Hidden.
Purchase Author in Progress on Nov. 1 at writersdigestshop.com, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. Also, find fellow authors in progress and discuss the book with the official hashtag on Twitter: #AuthorInProgress.
About F+W, A Content + eCommerce Company
F+W connects passionate, like-minded groups of people to share an ongoing exchange of information, ideas and inspiration. F+W is committed to providing the very best experience for its customers across its communities – digital media, writing, design, outdoors and lifestyle, among many others. The company offers exclusive events, online learning programs, research services, custom content, books and magazines (digital and print), curated kits and other services to its millions of customers worldwide. (fwmedia.com)
# # #
Note to Editors: Review copies of Author in Progress may be requested, as well as interviews with Therese Walsh and press passes for the Writer’s Digest Novel Writing Conference in October.